Friday, October 12, 2018

[PULLED FROM THE DRAFT ARCHIVE] RESULTS SHOW - Religious Background Poll for Skeptics

In the tradition of American Idol, which goes on TV a second night each week it airs to tally the viewer's call in votes, I will use the Religious Background Poll for Skeptics I put up last week as an excuse to stretch two posts out of one. :)

Quick review:
In response to GoingGoingGone's question "[W]hether it's more likely for Modern Orthodox, Charedi, of Chassidish individuals to go off the derech[?]" I created a poll asking the following:

"Before I went off the derech (or became orthoprax) I identified as..."

The poll offered seven preset responses and the option for a write-in response.

Here are the results:

Response Percentage Total votes (37 total votes)
Modern Orthodox54%20 votes*
Charedi (non-chassidish)13.5%5 votes
Chassidish13.5%5 votes
Chareidi Light (Works/black hat/kids in Kollel)8.1%3 votes
Yeshivish5.4%2 votes
I haven't gone off the derech2.7%1 vote
Other [Write In]2.7%1 vote ["before I became Orthoprax I was non-observant"]
I'm not Jewish0%0 votes

* 3 people wrote in and identified as a form of modern orthodox ("mainstream mod ortho", "Rightt Wing MO" [sic], and "Heimish MO"). I added these votes to the modern orthodox tally. I also subtracted two votes after Abandoning Eden indicated that she accidentally voted for MO three times using different computers.

This poll is not scientific and far from a representative sample of all Jewish skeptics. Here are some of the confounding variables in my methods.

Atheist blogger and demographer Abandoning Eden noted that the poll is biased because one's background can also have an influence on the likelihood they will read my blog. As she put it "someone from the chassidish community is probably a lot less likely to know how to use the internet and blogging in general than someone from the modern orthodox community." A good point. I think the way the question was asked also presents an issue. Modern orthodoxy might be a natural stopping point for Charedi on their way to going OTD. So the question "Before I went off the derech I identified as" might skew the results toward MO. At best I think the poll gives us a general idea about: people in this blogging community, who also click online polls, and who visited my blog.

That said, over half the responders to the poll "Identified as Modern Orthodox before they went off the derech (or became orthoprax)."Do you think this result accurately represents the Jewish skeptic blogging community?

No comments: