Monday, October 6, 2008

My Tribe: Guest Post by ex-Mormon C. L. Hanson

by C. L. Hanson of Letters from a Broad and Main Street Plaza


Have you ever had an admirer who watches you from afar, looking for cues and good ideas to emulate? Sweet, isn't it?

Today I'd like to tell you some of the reasons why the Mormons feel like they have a special affinity with the Jews, and you can tell me (in the comments) whether this makes sense or whether it's completely nuts.

First of all, the Mormons believe themselves to be another tribe of Israel. The reasoning behind this is a little complex (let's save it for "advanced topics"), but it has historically led to the amusing Mormon practice of referring to non-Mormons as "gentiles." I remember back in grad school on of my professors telling me he found Utah hilarious because it was the only place in the world where he was called a "gentile." His experience was probably based on a misunderstanding, yet it's not entirely unexpected.

The Mormons' historical claim to being a tribe of Israel is pretty tenuous -- and their theological connection with Judaism is even more tenuous (the two sets of beliefs are very different) -- yet even if it amounts to no more than terminology, it still warms Mormons up to the idea that they're a tribe like the Jews. And sometimes just believing something encourages people to make it so.

Probably the most important real parallel is the Mormon exodus. The Mormons crossed the wilderness as a group (back in the days when it was no small feat to do so) to build their own society in a hostile landscape that they saw as their promised land. This trek -- plus a few generations when the Mormons were a fairly isolated group in Utah -- forged an identity as a people. (Note that because the Mormon population was isolated during a critical growth period, many sociologists see Mormonism as an ethnicity.) As I've said in earlier comments here, you may think it's crazy that a group with such a short history could have a strong attachment to their heritage. but consider the fact that the U.S.A.'s history as a nation isn't much longer than Mormon history, and look how fiercely proud the Americans are of their national/cultural identity. Mormon history may be short, but it's memorable, to say the least.

There are also practical similarities in religious observance department: strict gender roles, a modesty code for women, rules about what one can/can't do on the Sabbath, requirements of wearing certain articles of clothing, and a strict dietary code. Keeping the Mormon "Word of Wisdom" is far less elaborate than keeping kosher, but it is no less a mark of whether one is observant/religious or not. These similarities may seem superficial, yet the parallel become more apparent when you read (in blogspace) about the experiences of non-believers raised Mormon compared to the experiences of non-believers who were raised frum. (See also my online novel Exmormon for more details and stories about what growing up in a Mormon family is like.) In both cases, spouses and other family members are often as upset about seeing the non-believer break key mitzvot/commandments as they are about the non-belief itself. And in both cases, non-belief/non-practice is often seen by religious family members as a rejection of one's family and identity.

Thus we have another tribe whose identity is centered around a religion, and who -- like the Jews -- are a minority everywhere in the world except in a small homeland. So it's natural for Mormons to look at the Jewish example when it comes to questions about identity (here's a recent example on a popular Mormon blog) and questions about culture. The Mormon lit community routinely uses Jewish literature as an ideal to emulate, both in terms of serious literature (see the comments on this post and this post for typical examples) and popular stuff (the Mormons love Fiddler on the Roof, and admit to having "Fiddler-Envy").

Then there's politics. I was telling a friend of mine recently about how -- after being the most loyal stalwarts of the Religious Right -- the Mormons were shocked to discover they weren't really part of the club when they saw how Mitt Romney's religion was treated by the Religious Right's Evangelical core. "What? The Religious Right is intolerant?" laughed my friend, and she went on to explain that this is the main reason why the Jews tend to vote Democrat -- they realize they're better off under a government that believes in pluralism. I'm hoping it will finally sink in to the average Mormon that they really are a minority, and perhaps one day they'll catch this same clue.

So what do you think? Does it make any sense to imagine we're fellow tribes?

14 comments:

Christopher Smith said...

This is a great post, Ms. Hanson. The Mormons also think of themselves as a persecuted people and have a reputation for thrift and affluence. And they have been the targets of a surprising number of terrorist attacks abroad. And if I'm not mistaken, Mormon eschatology expects the establishment of two end-times New Jerusalems: one in the US and one in Jerusalem.

jewish philosopher said...

Become an ersatz Jew has been quite popular at least since the time of the early church. Muslims believe that Ismael was God's chosen and Mecca is the holy city.

Personally, I decided that instead of going that route I would become a real Jew.

Abandoning Eden said...

As a former orthodox jew, I certainly enjoyed reading some of those books by ex-FLDS-mormons (like "escape"), and identified with quite a lot of the stuff I was read. The doctrine may be different, but in practice I think some Orthodox Jewish sects and the FLDS folks have a lot in common.

Anonymous said...

I have around 10 pages of notes from the book "Leaving The Saints" which highlight the parallels between Mormon life and Orthodox Judaism. One of these days I'm going to put it all together into a blog post.

C. L. Hanson said...

Thanks Chris!!!

Jewish Philosopher -- That's a pretty logical reaction. I know the Mormons aren't the only ones on the Jewish wanna-be list, and why be a wanna-be when you can be the real thing?

For myself, I'm an atheist, so I'm not planning to convert to (or practice) any religion, and I can hardly go back in time to my birth an decide to be a cultural/ethnic Jew. ;^)

Abandoning Eden and The Hedyot -- That's cool that you've found parallels as well. So I'm not crazy. ;^) I'd love to learn more about the details!!!

Eileen said...

Hey CL -- great post! I have an inquisitive mind, so when something interests me, I'm inclined to research it. I found a lot of the J-blogs after getting into Faye Kellerman's detective series, which made me curious about Orthodox Judaism (Hasidic Rebel's blog was the first I found). Then I found Recovery from Mormonism during the Romney campaign. I saw so many parallels, I remember thinking to myself that you folks would have a lot to say to each other. (Plus, I've become skeptical about religion myself -- I was raised Lutheran -- so I also found a lot of the things I read to be quite helpful in that regard.)

The Candy Man said...

Hey CL, great post! One of the great ironies of our society is that we have so much in common, yet know so little about other cultures outside our own. It's nice to see you make a tiny crack in that wall.

DrJ said...

Very interesting post.

Your description of many aspects of Mormonism and its similarities to Judaism, is a good example of how religions develop. Many pscyhologists believe that morality and religious belief have been hard wired into our brains by evolution, much like language. The basic outlines of faith are pre-programmed, with the specifics to be filled in by the particular environment that people live in.

So of course the Mormons borrowed from Judaism, Christianity, combined it with elements of the society around them, and made it into a religion. The same is most likely true of Judaism, which drew from the wells of other ancient worship and dieties, and evolved into its own particular form that adapted to the people's circumstances.

As far as JP's suggestion, you could just as easily say, why be a Jew when you could be a "real" Zorastrian, or an authentic Ashteroth or El worshipper.

Lubab No More said...

I really like this post. I think that people react to religion in very similar cultural ways even if the content is different. Orthodox Jews and religious Muslims have a very similar way of life, it is the beliefs that are different. I think the cultural connection to Mormonism is larger than people may know.
Thanks for guest posting! I hope you'll do it again sometime.

C. L. Hanson said...

Thanks everyone!!!

E.L. Fay -- So even those outside these two traditions can see the parallels. It's fun to learn about different traditions and cultures, isn't it?

Candy Man -- I'm glad if I can succeed in creating a crack in such walls. Personally, I really like reading stories from all different nations and cultures, and see how people are people everywhere. Naturally, I like to encourage others in this same direction since it's fun!

DrJ -- Very good point! OK, now I aspire to be an authentic Ashteroth or El worshipper. ;^)

LNM -- I'm glad you liked the post! I'll see if I can think of anything else to write about. ;^)

Actually, I've written a little about the Mormon/Jewish connection before for a Mormon audience, for example Mormon Lit Misfit and Jewish kids at Christmas.

Anonymous said...

I guess I can see similarities, but then again, when you look hard enough to find similarities between any two things, you can usually find it.
Very enjoyable to read though. I like your writing style.

Rebecca said...

I don't know much about Orthodox Judaism, but I've lived with a Reformed Jewish family for more than 2 years and I have to say - pretty much zero similarities to Mormonism. They absolutely,no question consider themselves Jewish, but they don't keep kosher, celebrate Shabbat, have any particular standards of dress, care about specific gender roles, etc. They celebrate the High Holidays, but otherwise the only one in the family who goes to temple regularly is the mom. And yet, they are full members of their synagogue, and not considered "inactive" or in any way "bad" Jews.

I guess I can see some parallels with Orthodox Judaism, but really, I think you can find parallels in any religion if you look. Mormons just have a severe case of persecution envy (those who are the most persecuted have the most truth!).

I've told the kid I nanny for (who is 16) a lot about Mormonism since I've lived here, and when I told her that Mormons think their religion is similar to Judaism, she laughed. She thought that was completely ridiculous. And, at least as far as her congregation practices, she's right.

Anonymous said...

Most of the Orthodox--and less Orthodox--Jewish friends think it is either hilarious or incomprehensible that Mormons think they have something in common with Jews and that there should be some sort of mutual affinity.

Hellmut said...

I suppose Mormons and Jews have something in common but one needs to remember that identities are a matter of imagination. The Mormon imagination serves our own purposes. I suspect that Mormon ideas about Jewishness is quite different from Jewish identity.

It's fascinating, though, that some posters are emphasizing the similarities between the 'fundamentalist' versions of both religions.

I am not sure if that says more about Mormons and Jews or about authoritarianism.