Monday, December 3, 2007

Living on a Prayer: Redux

Follow up post to: Living on a Prayer

The past few weeks I've been making a real effort to put on tefillin everyday and pick up a siddur at prayer time. As I've written before, I haven't found any benefit in reading words I don't believe in. (see link) But, I've found a different approach to "prayer" which I have found useful. While I have my tallis and tefillin on I simply think through my day ahead. I concentrate on what I have to do for the day and I focus on the key points. I make an effort to visualize what I need to do and how I will do it well. I can't remember where I first heard of this idea but I know that some athletes apply this approach to achieve success on the field. I've been very happy with how it's worked out so far. I find it gives me a little extra focus when I sit down at work or when I'm taking care of business at home. Interestingly, I think the tallis and tefillin help give me focus. I think the reason why is that I'm used to blocking everything else out when I have them on so when I put them on now they contribute to clearing my mind.

I'm pleasantly surprised.

4 comments:

chchick said...

Who woulda thunk? You and Matisyahu getting into a new groove.

DrJ said...

Whatever works...
I find value in meditating as well.
At the same time I appreciate not having to allow time for minyan in the morning.
The strictly religious lifestyle does have a discipline and structure to it, which I found comforting, I kind of miss it.
It really hard to say anything negative about prayer. Its probably one of the greatest contributions of religion to the world.

BEEHIVE said...

Lubab,

I'm glad that you have found a way to accomodate your needs as well as keeping the peace arround you home.
One question though, does your wife know that you are not exactly praying? would she be angry if she knew what you are doing?

jewish philosopher said...

If she ever reads this blog, Lubab will be out on his rear end in a minute.