Thursday, November 15, 2007

Living on a Prayer

I've been praying shacharis the past few days. And by shacharis I mean shema and shmona esrei. Praying again has been a strange experience. It is very familiar and I can slip right back into it. That's good and bad. I'll start with the bad. It's bad because I find myself mindlessly mumbling the words. Hardly worth my time. On the other hand I was surprised to find myself a little excited for shmona esre. I liked that moment where I just shut everything out and prepared to focus on what I was about to say. Of course I lost that cool feeling once I started reading the pre-scribed prayer in front of me. I slogged through it but I kept thinking this might be worth my time if I just said my own thing. So tomorrow that's what I'm going to do. I'm going to focus on my own thoughts for five minutes and try to find some kind of meaning and review the ways in which I can better myself. Basically, I'm going to meditate while wearing my tallis and tefillin.

The experience got me thinking about what prayer does for us. I think it is pretty clear that people who believe in prayer can use it to change their own lives and attitudes. Prayer must be at least as good as a placebo, but maybe better. Perhaps focused, relaxed concentration (meditation or prayer) allows us to build the foundation for real change.

I certainly don't believe in the words so I'll be skimming those but I think there might actually be something to this meditation approach.

13 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm in the same boat as you re prayer.

come running said...

Since DB can't read Hebrew I'm teaching him to pray from his heart with his own words.

Anonymous said...

You're either on the right path for your marriage or going nowhere.

Nemo said...

Well, one way or another, you're making us Lubies proud...

Nemo said...

By putting on Teffilin that is, not for running shameless blogs ;)

Anonymous said...

I used to do the meditate with tefilin thing, but the tefilin got in the way. I saw somewhere on the net a picture of how tefilin is really very clever, because it puts pressure on meditative points of the body. Didnt work for me, i always found tefilin distracting, so I eventually dumped the tefilin and siddur, but stuck with the meditation. I highly recommend studying and practicing meditation through a course online or offline.

Anonymous said...

Good for you.I'm sure your wife will be proud.

Anonymous said...

Even though I am not Orthodox, I do try to pray at least shachrit, and sometimes if I am lucky minha and maariv. I don't agree with all the words, so I do stuff like replacing He with The Eternal, when I am saying it in English.
Sometimes I do feel it's routine, but sometimes I really feel a spiritual glow, sort of a holy moment. It usually surprises me when I don't expect it.

Anonymous said...

I meant to say that I pray in Hebrew and then pray out loud the translation in English. It makes it more meaningful for me.

Lubab No More said...

Nemo,
> > By putting on Teffilin that is, not for running shameless blogs ;)

LOL :D

Anonymous said...

Well I imagine with his intellegence it is more a matter of running from the legacy of his tongue as opposed to his evidence. He's pretty formidible but gratuitously hits below the belt. Ok Avi lets have a friendly war. I remember when I jokingly said to Baal HaBos something like or maybe exactly like "This is war!" He took me seriously. Ooh that hurt coming from the Baal.

Friendly war sounds good. Besides Baal is probably a lot more learned then I am so it's good not to go to war with him....... Still no sign of JP. Hope I didn"t terrify him. Avi

Leah Kleim Has Fake Tits said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
jewish philosopher said...

I think yoga's good too.