Friday, November 2, 2007

Mishichistim: Can They Be Changed?

Earlier this week I talked about the current messianic state of Chabad-Lubavitch and how I hold The Rebbe accountable. Prior to the 1994 death of The Rebbe, the charismatic leader of the Hasidic sect Chabad-Lubavitch, many members of the movement believed he was the not-yet-revealed long-awaited messiah. For many, his death didn't change a thing. These people are known as "Mishichists." If he was the messiah when he was alive he could still be the messiah now. A little thing like death never stopped God before.

What percentage of Chabad believes The Rebbe is coming back is unclear. Exactly, what people believe is also up for debate. I have heard people say "he never died." Others say "he died, but only in body," and that "his soul is still here with us." Some I've spoken with simply say "I don't know what happened that day but all I know is The Rebbe would never leave us." The one thing they all have in common is that they can't let go.

It makes me a little sad. Chabad was so vibrant, evolving and growing when The Rebbe was alive. It is bigger in numbers now, but the sect doesn't really change focus. The movement just seems to do what it always did. Back in its heyday, The Rebbe could give an order today and tomorrow you would find yourself asking strangers to try a Jewish ritual in the back of a Winnebago.

But I digress.

After all the years of hanging on The Rebbe's every word, and then years of believing he was the unrevealed-Moshiach I am convinced that you can not change these people's minds. People only change if they want to change. All kidding aside, I honestly think it would take a order from The Rebbe, in person, to abuse them of the notion that he will rise from the grave. (A tape of The Rebbe saying as much at a previous event wouldn't do. It would be too easy to explain away.)

I don't think the attitudes of the mishichistim can be changed from within. After all, they have faith.

7 comments:

Joey said...

Abuse of faith does not mean faith is bad. All good things can be abused. Faith is good, but one must understand what faith is to be, how it is to applied.

I would add that Meshichistin are one of the main reasons why I have nothing to do with Chabad. I just don't feel I can trust anyone there. And the ignorance in learning among them is utterly appalling.

Anonymous said...

You also have faith too. In the current popular ideas too. As for the topic. It would be nice for Lubavitch to have a new Rebbe. Time will tell. It may take a new generation and the passing of this one.

Lubab No More said...

RG,

I don't have "faith" in current ideas. I believe in the ones that I can see work. I believe racism is wrong and have the evidence that shows all humans are genetically the same. I believe in the Golden Rule and when many people follow it there is a clear benefit. But my beliefs are different from religious beliefs in that I'm willing to adjust them if I'm presented with new evidence. I rely on them, but I don't have faith in them.

Seriously, the only part of my life where I have true, blind faith is in baseball. On opening day, every year, I believe my team can will the World Series. Of course the outcome of the WS doesn't really impact me either way but I care nevertheless.

jewish philosopher said...

You believe in the Golden Rule because you live a predominantly Christian society which believes in the Golden Rule. Had you lived in Russia in 1940, no doubt you would have believed in Stalinism. Tens of millions did.

Lubab No More said...

> Had you lived in Russia in 1940, no doubt you would have believed in Stalinism.

Uh, no. That's the opposite of what I said. If lived in Russia in 1940 and rationally looked at Stalinism I would see that it doesn't work. Of course I'm assuming I wasn't freezing my ass off in Siberia or rotting in a Soviet jail cell.

Anonymous said...

Why is racism wrong. If you believe that 10-30 years of lubavitcher messianism dooms Lubavitch why does 100 years of fatherless households not doom the black man in America? Why does the education in Prisonthat 1/3 of Black men get in Prison not doom them?

Why do you believe in the golden rule? Why not take whatever you can. Survival of the fittist. Look at nature everything consumes everything else. Do you apply the golden rule to animals? Do you eat meat in your cholent?How about to vegetative life? If not why do you have this residue from your Bible about sanctity of Human life. Life is accident enjoy it while you can!

jewish philosopher said...

" If lived in Russia in 1940 and rationally looked at Stalinism I would see that it doesn't work."

If every single newspaper and radio told you it worked, you would have believed it worked.