Monday, January 5, 2009

Letter from No Man's Land

A guest post by the Candyman, continuing an interfaith dialogue with Unkosher Jesus.

Dear Doug,

Happy New Year to you. I really enjoyed your recent post continuing our dialogue about Jesus. Professor Rubenstein's quote at the end really sums up the Jewish experience of Jesus. On the one hand, it is difficult to be a Jew in a Christian world, and whether or not you are getting beaten up for it, it is natural to develop some feeling of resentment. On the other hand, Jesus was truly a transformative figure in history. He was a tzaddik, and his lessons were not just for Christians. As the old Jewish saying goes, Who is wise? He who learns from every man. And we all can learn a lot from Jesus.

I want to turn the discussion to another statement you made. You said,

I am not a particularly religious person these days, but while I may not be a doctrinaire or regularly practicing Catholic, Jesus as a teacher and religious leader is very important to me.

As I commented on your blog, I feel this way about Judaism. For me, the key Jewish text is Pirkei Avot - Ethics of the Fathers. It literally changed my life. It had a lasting impact on my values. Pirkei Avot is all about being wise and being kind. It is about seeing the forest for the trees, and opening your heart. If halakha is the brain of Rabbinic Judaism, then Pirkei Avot is undoubtedly the heart. I have little doubt that the pithy sayings of Pirkei Avot had a huge impact on how Jesus thought as well.

But here's the thing, Doug - Judaism today is not an extension of Pirkei Avot. It's more like an extension of kashrut. Jews today get all carried away in different rituals and holidays and foods, anything that makes them feel more Jewish. But feeding the homeless is not a big part of it (unless that homeless person happens to be a member of the Tribe). I generalize here, but the point is that the values of Pirkei Avot - love, humility, kindness, and equality - haven't really permeated Jewish society. Worse yet, in some cases - such as gay rights - Judaism stands in the way of these values.

I bring this up because, having read some of your posts about the Church, I see that you disagree with Pope Benedict on many issues. And so you are left in the same quandary as me: loving the texts, disliking the organizations. I feel attached to Pirkei Avot, I want to teach it to my children. The same goes for much of the Torah. But my experiences with organizations like the Orthodox Union has left a bad taste in my mouth. I wonder whether Judaism today is simply a flawed structure, based on values that are alien to me. Do you ever feel that way about Christianity?

To what extent is it worth trying to reform these old religions? Trying to salvage them? Can we keep the baby but throw out the bathwater? Or should we perhaps simply carve a new path, perhaps throwing our weight behind a post-religious humanism of some kind? It's tough wandering in this no-man's land alone. I'd love to hear your perspective.

All the best,
Shul Candyman.

7 comments:

jewish philosopher said...

Judaism and Christianity both have long ago been reformed. Like the Reformation. And Reform Judaism.

I see Jews practicing more than preaching. My adopted parents were and are Lutheran and they may theoretically believe in "universal love". At the same time they were very abusive to me and my adopted brother. My current Jewish neighbors may not give a hoot about Darfur, however they constantly come to visit my handicapped son.

Anonymous said...

Shul Candyman,

I don't know where you have been hanging out, but your comments are hardly representative of Judaism. Your generalizations are downright dishonest, probably deliberately so.

I would suggest you pick up Pirkei Avos, again.

Avi said...

Hey Shul Candyman. Maybe you should give out less candy to the kids ( afterall who are you making happy, THE DENTISTS ) and try davening a little harder. I say this not as criticizm ( because I have not said a word to God in the past 20 years ) but I do enjoy participating in shul activities, especially on Simchas Torah. It makes me feel like I belong to a community and I believe thats what it's all about. Being part of a community....Avi

The Candy Man said...

@Avi,

I do enjoy participating in shul activities, especially on Simchas Torah. It makes me feel like I belong to a community and I believe thats what it's all about. Being part of a community

I understand where you are coming from. For many years my community was also the shul. But I learned over time that this religious community thing works both ways. It excludes as well as includes.

Communities based primarily on race or religion do not appeal to me. I have been there, done that.

Furthermore, I do not submit to the premise that Judaism is about building a "community." I think that's an apologetic. There are community elements in Judaism, certainly, but those are details. The heart of Judaism is about truth and love and ethical behavior, not hanging out with buddies at kiddush.

What is hateful to you, do not do to your neighbor. That is the Torah on one foot.

The Candy Man said...

@Anon & Jewish philosopher,

My current Jewish neighbors may not give a hoot about Darfur, however they constantly come to visit my handicapped son.

Why don't they give a hoot about Darfur? These are not mutually exclusive. You can do better.

My adopted parents were and are Lutheran and they may theoretically believe in "universal love". At the same time they were very abusive to me and my adopted brother.

I am sorry to hear it. In my opinion, organized Christianity has not fared much better than organized Judaism.

I don't know where you have been hanging out, but your comments are hardly representative of Judaism.

Really? I don't know where you've been hanging out. Orthodox Judaism is entirely a by-Jews-for-Jews affair. Conservative isn't much better. Reform is the best of the lot, but they still won't officiate at an interfaith ceremony.

Your generalizations are downright dishonest, probably deliberately so.

My statements are truthful. You are the one who is being dishonest with yourself.

Holy Hyrax said...

>Communities based primarily on race or religion do not appeal to me. I have been there, done that.

Technically speaking, the Jewish communities don't base themselves on race.

Anonymous said...

>>Really? I don't know where you've been hanging out. Orthodox Judaism is entirely a by-Jews-for-Jews affair. Conservative isn't much better. Reform is the best of the lot, but they still won't officiate at an interfaith ceremony.

What kind of hogwash is this? Interfaith ceremonies are forbidden by Jewish law. Do you have any idea how many Jewish doctors, layers, and other professionals and businessmen impacted the world? Perhaps they are more keen on helping their own, but, then again, I have yet to receive any help from the Church two blocks away from my house.

You have no point and are completely devoid of content and originality. You probably never associated with Jews, and you certainly have failed to demonstrate the kind of critical thinking one can reasonbly expect from a learned Jew. Take your hate toward the Jewish people and joint the KKK.


>>My statements are truthful. You are the one who is being dishonest with yourself.

What a sad man you are.